Saturday, June 25, 2011

New York vote overcomes timeworn prejudices

Born and raised in New York but living in Boston, I had to be careful about mentioning my origins, but things improved once I reversed my sports loyalties. Now, at last, I can talk about my home state with some pride in that it has taken a major step with regard to social justice by approving gay marriage.

As the Washington Post notes, this vote essentially doubles the number of Americans who can gain access to same-sex marriage licenses.

As Derrick Jackson wrote in the Boston Globe several years ago, quoting people from South Africa, a country that truly understands discrimination: "This country cannot afford to be a prison of timeworn prejudices which have no basis in modern society."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As someone with a gay relative, I say bravo and thank you to you, sir.

nonlocal