Saturday, June 04, 2011

Bittersweet memories of a soccer player


It was a wonderful spring day for soccer today, and it served to bring back memories for me of Melissa Leung. Melissa was an eighth grader when, in April 2001, she and three other classmates were killed during a bus accident while on a school trip. I realized today that it has been ten years, and I still remember her well and fondly.

Melissa had been a player on the Under-14 team I coached in the previous fall, and so it was extra shocking to hear of this terrible accident the following spring. She was a lovely girl, funny and outgoing. As a soccer player, she was about average for her age, but she had one very funny characteristic. When she played goalie and tried to punt the ball out of her area into the field, it would sometimes go back over her head. She actually had the potential of scoring against herself! We would all laugh when this happened, and she most of all.

So, the end of the season arrived, and many of the girls signed a thank-you card (above) to the coaches. How did Melissa sign it?

Meli Leung
Punter

12 comments:

Marilyn said...

Paul, this is a kindness. Thank you.

I was thinking of this tragedy just the other day as I rode through the school's neighborhood. I was thinking of the shattered families left behind and wondering how they were all doing. It means a lot to the loved ones left behind to remember their dearly departed ones, to not let them be forgotten.

Anonymous said...

Ah, how time flies. This is a sad one, but I find constant joy in running into my former soccer and basketball players in so many places. I am in the midst of a run of weddings of former players right now. It always reminds me that we taught them a lot more than how to"punt!". Thanks for sharing.

Lisa Fields said...

Paul,

i'm touched by your simple yet so thoughtful act of kindness. The other night on #HPM we discussed the Role Social Media can give to our Friends and Family after we have died.

I think one of the fears parents have when their children die is that their precious ones have been forgotten. Melissa has not been forgotten.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that. It was sad and sweet, too. It also brought out the engineer in me: I assume she put an astonishing backspin on the ball, somehow?! It's a little hard to cry and think about physics at the same time, but some of us do it anyway. . .

JP said...

What a touching story. I love the image of the goalie laughing rather than getting upset and being miserable.

Bobbie said...

Thanks for reminding us, Paul. A very bittersweet memory.

Suzanne said...

Thank you. Important to remember that every day with our children is a gift....carpe diem whenever possible....

Lauren said...

Thank you for sharing this, Paul! I, too, remember Melissa very fondly. It is hard to believe it has been 10 years.

Ruth said...

From Facebook: Paul, this is a really nice post and extra special that you still have the thank you card.

Coach G said...

That’s so very touching. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. What a great memory you have of Melissa. Although it’s terribly sad, I still smiled at the image of Melissa playing keeper and laughing at the ball as it soars over behind her head.

Allee said...

From Facebook: This is so sweet Paul- thanks for sharing. I can't believe it's been 10 years.

Lena said...

From Facebook:

I know. I love that you saved the note...I can't believe it's been 10 years. Wow. So sad...